Shipping procedures

When an export control license is needed


All international shipments are subject to U.S. export control regulations.

When an export license is required

  • The item shipped is military in nature and appears on the United States Munitions List (USML). [Any item or service controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) always requires a license before being exported or imported.]
  • The item to be exported is destined for an embargoed or sanctioned country. Presumption of denial is expected when applying for such license.
  • Either the recipient or entity receiving the export is on a restricted party list.
  • The item appears on the Commerce Control List (CCL) or the USML, and no license exception is available.

Shipments containing hazardous materials or dangerous goods

Certain items have been deemed by the U.S. secretary of transportation to be capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety and property when transported in commerce. Per federal regulations these items must be packaged, labeled, and marked in a certain manner.

For shipments containing hazardous materials or dangerous goods, contact the hazardous materials shipping coordinator.

International shipments

Prior to international shipping, complete the WSU export control application form and email to the export control coordinator for review.